What the New Year and Exfoliation Have In Common
The New Year is a great time to get rid of what’s old and welcome in what’s new. In the spirit of welcoming in the new, we compiled these 3 Things that Exfoliation and the New Year Have in Common:
- Out With the Old, In With the New
As we’ve already mentioned, the New Year is about welcoming in the new. The same can be said for exfoliation. When you exfoliate, you are ensuring that cells, specifically skin cells, are turned over optimally. A keratolytic agent, such as retinols or AHA/BHA’s, can help improve the look of skin that has been affected by the aging process. Ask your skin care physician about an appropriate skin care regimen such as the Obagi Nu-Derm® System*, which includes a product that exfoliates (Exfoderm or Exfoderm Forte), products with prescription 4% hydroquinone to lighten skin, a moisturizer that hydrates, and a sunscreen that provides broad spectrum sun protection. Please see Important Safety Information for Nu-Derm Clear and Blender below.
- Different Strokes for Different Folks
Some people love to celebrate the New Year with a wild party, rambunctiously counting down the last seconds of the year. Others prefer a quieter New Year’s Eve spent with loved ones. The reasons we enjoy New Year’s celebrations differently are as varied as those who celebrate them. The reasons we should exfoliate are also varied:
- Winter can be tough on the skin because the dryer weather deprives skin of vital moisture and is exacerbated by going in and out of the cold and into the heated indoors. Less moisture in the air means less moisture in your skin, resulting in dry, flaky skin.
- In the spring and summer months, our skin is more exposed to heat and humidity, which can cause an increase in skin’s oil production levels. This not only results in excess oiliness and loss of glow, but visible signs of photo aging as well.
- Your body’s hormonal changes can influence your endocrine system, creating hormonal fluctuations, which influence your skin and can contribute to a superficial dull, sallow appearance.
It Just Feels Good
Sometimes it just feels great to do what feels good. The New Year can be a joyous time of celebrations and reunions with family and friends; parties, gatherings, coffee dates – we enjoy them because they feel good to do.
Exfoliation can have the same type “feel good” effects. It feels great to walk out into the world with your best face forward. And we all know that a clean, fresh, newly exfoliated face is one of the ways that you show up as your best self.
As always, whether you choose to exfoliate or not, be sure to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30 or higher together with a comprehensive sun protection program including wearing sun protective clothing, hats, sunglasses, and avoiding the sun between the hours of 10am - 2pm, which may help reduce the risk of premature skin aging.
Can you think of other ways that the New Year and Exfoliation are similar? Share them in the comments below.
Last updated: 11/10/16
*The safety and effectiveness of the Nu-Derm System beyond 24 weeks of use have not been established. If no improvement is seen after 3 months of treatment, use of this product should be discontinued.
Not available in select states including MA, MT, NH, NY, and TX, due to state regulations regarding the ability of physicians to dispense prescription drug products in their offices. As an effective, non-prescription alternative learn about the Nu-Derm Fx System.
©2016 OMP, Inc. 1/16 OBG.0535.USA.15