Happy Healthy Life Part 3: Set Goals
01.25.2016, 11:50 CST | Posted In: Health & Beauty
Editor’s Note: This is installment three of a Happy Healthy Life series. You can read the other blogs in the series here: Happy Healthy Life Part 1: Good Sleep for Better Skin, Happy Healthy Life Part 2 - Inner Peace.
Do you set goals for yourself? Do you know how to? Experts agree that goal-setting can be an invaluable way to live a happy and healthy life. Here are some tips for setting – and keeping – goals:
- Write them down. It has been said that a goal that is not written down is only a wish. So next time you have a goal, make sure you touch pen to paper and write it down.
- Set mini-goals. “Become a millionaire” is a great goal, but there are many steps to take before you become a millionaire. Set mini-goals that you can achieve regularly. For instance, “save 20% of my paycheck” is a great financial mini-goal that, over time, may end up helping you reach your loftier goals, like “Become and Millionaire”.
- Don’t be shy. This may seem in direction contradiction to our #2 tip to set mini-goals, but it’s not. Part of goal setting is that your major goals should always be slightly out of reach, requiring you to grow in order to achieve them. Set goals to achieve what you really want and don’t be shy. Nobody but Y-O-U can achieve your goals for you.
- Be S.M.A.R.T about your goals. Business guru Jim Rohn says that goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-sensitive. Once you write down your goals, check to make sure they meet each of these criteria.
- Check progress: How do you know if you’ve achieved your goals if you don’t check progress from time to time? You’ll be happy that you did, because often checking your progress will either compel you to make changes related to achieving your goals, or you’ll see that you are on track and continue to do what you’re doing until you reach the goal.
- Reward yourself! We can’t stress enough how important it is to reward yourself for goals achieved. At our core, we are motivated by Reward and Punishment, so make sure you are showing yourself that you’ve done a good job by rewarding yourself when a goal has been met.
Do you have more tips for how to set and keep goals? Or do you have skincare goals that you’d like to share? Post them in the comments below.
®/TMs are trademarks of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. or its affiliates. All other product or brand names are trademarks of their respective owners. Distributed by Obagi Medical Products, a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC.
©2016 OMP, Inc. 1/16 OBG.0540.USA.15