Did you know April is Rosacea Awareness Month?
Most of you may not know that April is Rosacea Awareness Month. In fact, even though 1 in 20 Americans have rosacea, most people with it don’t even realize they have it. Because you, a loved one, or a friend could develop rosacea, take a few minutes to learn a little about this common, yet barely known skin condition.
- Rosacea by the numbers. It is estimated that rosacea affects more than 14 million Americans.1 It occurs most commonly in adults age 30 to 60.2 And 30% to 40% of patients with rosacea have a close relative with the condition.3 It tends to occur more often in women but more severely in men.2
- Menopause is a red flag. Many menopausal women tend to think they have adult acne when they see red bumps and pimples. However, it is possible that it could be rosacea. In fact, hot flashes might cause the first appearance of rosacea, so visit a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis.
- The sooner the better. People often delay treatment, thinking they have a temporary condition that will go away quickly, yet rosacea is reported to worsen with time—so the sooner treatment is started the better. If you have facial redness, acne-like pimples, flushing of the cheeks, nose, chin, and/or forehead, meet with your physician for a diagnosis and to discuss the prescription-based Obagi Rosaclear® System.*
- Avoid the aggravation. Prevent future flare-ups by avoiding things that can trigger rosacea. It might be helpful to keep a journal because everyone has different triggers. The most common ones include sun exposure, vigorous exercise, caffeine, stress, spicy food, excessive sugar and sweets, and alcohol.
- Keep your chin up. According to a National Rosacea Society survey, nearly 70% of rosacea sufferers reported experiencing embarrassment and anxiety because of their condition. The Rosaclear System incorporates a therapeutic prescription component, as well as products that help calm your skin and minimize the visible redness and blotchiness associated with rosacea. Even better, it is a skin care regimen that is noncomedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores. This can make it easier for rosacea sufferers to face the world and it helps improve their quality of life.
*This product has been discontinued and is no longer available for purchase.