Beauty in Many Shades of Color
Women of color come in beautiful shades and tones, and we get a lot of questions about skin care that’s specific for women with darker skin. So today we want to share a few beauty tips specially for those with a naturally darker skin tone.
- Face the facts of acne. Darker skin is especially susceptible to dark spots and discolorations because of the higher amount of melanin in the skin. Especially in women who have acne, blemishes and scarring may be more prominent. Acne causes post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, a fancy word to describe a darkened spot on your skin after a cut, scratch, or acne blemish. So it is especially important to avoid picking, squeezing, or otherwise irritating acne blemishes.
- Even out dark spots or hyperpigmentation. According to a 2011 survey of more than 1000 women with skin of color, dark spots, uneven skin tone, or hyperpigmentation was a prominent concern. Products that contain hydroquinone can help diminish dark spots and even out your skin tone.
- Wear sunscreen. The myth that skin cancer only affects light-skinned people is FALSE. A woman with dark skin does have more melanin in her skin for natural protection, but that extra melanin doesn’t protect against the UV damage that accelerates aging or causes cancer. If you have dark skin, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher.
- Match your makeup to your skin tone for a natural look. These days, makeup comes in so many different shades and tones, it’s easier than ever to find foundation, powder, or concealer that matches your natural skin color.
- Go for the gold. Eye shadows with silver undertones tend to look a bit harsh on darker skin, so use warmer colors that have more golden or bronze tones for a naturally flattering look.
And, of course, don’t forget the basics. No matter what your skin tone and color, basic skin care needs are essential for healthy, beautiful skin—so remember to cleanse, moisturize, and don’t forget your SPF!
If you know of any other beauty tips or secrets especially for darker skin, share by commenting below!