Improving Your Complexion Doesn’t Have to Be Complex
Everyone wants to put their best face forward, but sometimes improving your complexion can seem like a chore. However, achieving healthy-looking, beautiful skin doesn’t have to be complex if you keep a few simple tips in mind...remember, it’s never too late to take care of your skin!
Find a Skin Care System That Works for You
Obagi has a variety of skin care systems containing everything from cleansers to moisturizers for your skin to look its healthiest.
Start an Obagi® skin care system that includes the essentials to help combat your skin care issues. Systems featuring a gentle cleanser will help to not dry out or irritate skin, while using a moisturizer can help keep your skin healthy looking and protected from dryness. And be sure to help protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays, especially in the summer. Make sure to wear sunscreen every day to help prevent exposure to damaging UV rays, even indoors if you’re around windows and other spaces the sun can pass through!
Find the skin care system designed to treat your specific skin care concerns. Your skin will thank you.
You Are What You Eat
It’s important to remember that your skin can be a reflection of overall health. In other words, a nutritious diet can help keep you healthy on the inside and healthy on the outside as well.
Here are a few key points to keep in mind and discuss with your skin care physician when trying to improve your complexion through diet.
- It may seem fishy, but make sure you’re getting enough omega-3 fatty acids. Having the right balance of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids can affect inflammation inside your body that can also show up on your skin.1 Eating more omega-3 rich foods, such as salmon and mackerel, and taking fish oil supplements may help achieve the proper balance of fatty acids that can affect inflammation.1
- Keep that sweet tooth in check! Regulating blood sugar can help improve your complexion by limiting outbursts of the hormone insulin. Some studies show that people who adhere to a diet with a low glycemic load can help lessen skin issues such as acne. The antioxidants found in vegetables (which you won’t find in junk food) can help keep your skin looking fantastic.1
- Stay hydrated! Drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day helps rid the body and skin of toxins.2
Exercising promotes skin cell health by increasing blood flow. This increase in blood flow provides both oxygen and nutrients to cells, and carries away waste products.3 In addition, exercise has been proven to alleviate stress, which can cause unpleasant effects on the complexion such as acne.3 Try yoga, which may help keep those stress levels down and your skin looking radiant.4
That Wasn’t So Complex, Was It?
A proper skin care routine, diet, and regular exercise can do wonders for your complexion. Talk to your skin care physician about additional tips for improving your complexion or watch the expert videos on our Obagi skin tips page. Don’t forget to share your new complexion expertise with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
1. Metcalf E. Can foods make you break out? WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/worst-foods-for-your-skin. Reviewed June 13, 2012. Accessed May 29, 2014.
2. The benefits of drinking water for your skin. UWHealth Web site. http://www.uwhealth.org/madison-plastic-surgery/the-benefits-of-drinking-water-for-your-skin/26334. Accessed June, 3 2014.
3. Jaret P. Coping With Acne: Exercise for healthy skin. WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/acne-care-11/exercise?page=1. Reviewed April 15, 2011. Accessed May 29, 2014.
4. The health benefits of yoga. WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/the-health-benefits-of-yoga. Reviewed May 10, 2012. Accessed June 3, 2014.
Except as otherwise indicated, all product names, slogans, and other marks are trademarks of the Valeant family of companies.
©2014 Obagi Medical Products, Inc., a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC. 07/14 DM/OBG/14/0077