Happy Healthy Life Part 2 - Inner Peace
08.10.2015, 10:01 CDT | Posted In: Health & Beauty
The quixotic quest for inner peace is something that many of us are on. Whether it be through a certain kind of exercise, or nutrition, or books that we read and seminars that we attend, the key is to find what works for you in your everyday life – finding a feeling or practice that helps quiet your mind, body, and soul for a little while.
If you haven’t found a peaceful practice to incorporate into your busy life yet, allow us to introduce you to one we love. This simple ritual takes as little as 5 minutes per day, and is arguably one of the best ways to achieve inner peace that we have ever found. Here’s a step-by-step process to help you find inner peace whenever you have a few minutes to spare.
1) First, find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed and where you can comfortably relax for a few minutes. This exercise is one you can do sitting down or laying down.
2) Optional Step: Grab your headphones if you have them and turn on some relaxing instrumental music, avoiding any music that has words in it.
3) With your eyes closed, take three very deep, cleansing breaths. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. As you breathe in through your nose, imagine your diaphragm (the area above your abdomen) is expanding and moving upward, as if it’s a balloon that is being filled with air. As you breathe out through your mouth, imagine you are releasing all the air in your body. If you feel anything “catch” while you are inhaling or exhaling, just let it be. Don’t force the breath in or out or worry that you’re unable to breathe as deeply as you may like.
4) Bring your hands together into a comfortable position. We like the prayer position for this practice, with the palms and fingers of opposite hands barely touching. You can fold your hands in any way that feels comfortable to you.
5) Now place your focus on your hands, still keeping your eyes closed, and begin to notice how your hands feel. Do they feel a little different than what you’re used to? You may feel that your hands feel somehow “deeper” or “more whole” as you place your focus on them. Or, you may feel that there is a type of energy that starts to surround your hands. Or, you may feel almost nothing at all. Don’t worry, you’re not doing it wrong. Just continue to breathe and focus on your hands.
6) After about 1 minute of breathing and focusing on your hands, move your focus to inside your body, to the area underneath your diaphragm, where you have been breathing and filling up the “balloon”. As you continue to breathe, focus on that area within you for 1-2 minutes, allowing anything that comes up (such as anxiety, sadness, fear - or any other emotion) to just be. Observe any emotions that come up as if you were looking at them from underneath as a non-biased, outside observer. Don’t focus on the emotions, just let them be there with you in that space, the same way you might allow another person into your space.
7) Now open your eyes and look at the world around you - your room, your office - wherever you are, with the eyes that have been inwardly focused. Do you feel the difference of how everything looks when you regard the world from this vantage point? Can you feel the inner peace that is now a part of you? Does everything now seem to have a quietness and an aliveness about it that wasn’t there before?
8) When your allotted time is up, continue with your day, remembering how to access this place of inner peace.
Spiritual masters have said that the body is the access point between the spiritual and the manifest. This practice helps you access that place of inner peace and bring it into your world.
Try it and let us know how you like it!
®/TMs are trademarks of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc., or its affiliates. Any other product or brand names and logos are the property of their respective owners. Distributed by Obagi Medical, a division of Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America LLC.
©2015 OMP, Inc. 08/15 DM/OBG/15/0146