7 Amazing Skin Facts to Help You Give Thanks To Your Skin
It may seem like an odd concept: giving thanks to your skin. But at this time of year, why not? After all, your skin is your body’s largest organ. In celebration of skin, here are 7 Amazing Skin Facts to Help You Give Thanks to Your Skin:
- As we mentioned above, skin is the body’s largest organ. If you were to stretch it out, it would cover approximately 2 square meters1 and comprise approximately 15% of your overall body weight.1 That’s a lot of skin to be thankful for!
- Want to find the thinnest skin on your body? Look no further than your eyelids. The skin on your eyelids is not too different from other skin on your body, but typically is .002mm thick2 and has more pigment cells.3 You can thank your eyes by treating them to some ELASTIderm® Eye Cream.
- Where do you think the thickest skin on your body can be found? Look no further than your feet for the answer. It’s about 1.4mm thick down there1 and thank goodness it is, because our feet can sure have it rough sometimes!
- Speaking of “thick skin”, did you know the idiom (which means to not be easily offended) is about 400 years old? The earliest quotation for "thick-skinned" in this sense is found in the Oxford English Dictionary from 1602. There's also an entry from 1582 for "thickskin," noun, "one who has a thick skin; a person dull or slow of feeling."
- Want to know how healthy you are? Clues to the answer may be contained in your skin’s health and pigmentation. If someone experiences an illness or injury, their skin’s pigmentation may be affected and become lighter (hypopigmentation) or darker (hyperpigmentation).4 Therefore, it’s important to keep an eye on any changes in pigmentation and see your doctor if you notice any, as this might hint at health issues.
- Quality skin care physicians consider your skin type before making any recommendations. A skin care professional will generally look at 5 factors to determine your skin type: Color, thickness, oiliness, laxity, and fragility. Read all about Skin Typing here.
- Ready to be awed (and possibly even grossed out a little)? Scientists say that you lose about 30,000 – 40,000 skin cells every minute.5 Cool or gross? You decide.
There you have it – 7 Amazing Skin Facts to Help You Give Thanks to Your Skin. What are YOU thankful for in regards to your skin? Post comments or questions below or on our Facebook fan page.
Last updated: 11/1/16
- 50 Incredible Facts About Skin. Visually Web site. http://visual.ly/50-incredible-facts-about-skin. Accessed November 4, 2015.
- 12 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Your Skin. Huffington Post Web site. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/skin-facts_n_5460610.html. Accessed November 4, 2015.
- Eyelid. Wikipedia Web site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyelid. Accessed November 4, 2015.
- Hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, and your skin. WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hyperpigmentation-hypopigmentation. Reviewed July 11, 2012. Accessed May 28, 2014. DM/NU/14/0009(01)
- Your Skin. KidsHealth Web site. http://m.kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/skin.html. Accessed November 4, 2015.
©2016 OMP, Inc. 11/16 OBG.0209.USA.16